Unionbrug
Iron Drawbridge, called Unionbrug, built in 1947 on behalf of the Coöperatieve Cartonfabriek `Union' G.A.. The bridge replaced an old swing bridge, which had been destroyed by acts of war.
Take a closer look
The bridge is composed of two freestanding hamei pillars (Amsterdam type). This type was applied after 1900 because the bridge width had to be increased under the influence of car traffic. Special features of this bridge are the framework hamstring posts and the attached control house, rare in the province of Groningen. According to a sign in the control house, the bridge was `refurbished and preserved in September 1971'. In 1981, the bridge was acquired by the municipality from Unica b.v..