De Hoop
National monument Molen De Hoop, which stands in the middle of Haren on Rijksstraatweg, is one of the few round stone top crossers in the northern Netherlands.
Take a closer look
It was always assumed that the mill was built in 1843 as an oil mill and later converted into a grain mill. However, historical research has shown that the mill was in fact probably built in 1839 specifically as a grain mill and only subsequently converted into an oil mill. The mill was restored in 1960 and 1975, but gradually fell into disrepair once more. The last private owner transferred the mill to a foundation in 2006, which subsequently had it restored. By 2010, the mill was once again operational as both a grain mill and an oil mill. Sources: Wikipedia and Rijksmonumenten . Photos: Wutsje, Wikimedia Commons