Kerk Nuis
Built of red brick at the beginning of the 13th century, this Romano-Gothic church is located on a high point of the Vredewolder sand ridge. Until the nineteenth century, the building was surrounded by a moat and tall oaks.
Take a closer look
Unfortunately, the canals have been filled in and the trees have disappeared; they had to make way for the expansion of the cemetery. The pulpit dates from the late eighteenth century and features symbols of the seasons on its panelling. Beneath the pulpit is a crudely carved eagle, the symbol of John the Evangelist. The communion table is in the Louis XVI style. This table was donated to the church in 1809 by the Van Teijens family of Beetsterzwaag. Twelve striking black plaques also hang on the white walls of the church. These memorial plaques were made following the deaths of squires and noblewomen. Strictly speaking, these mourning plaques do not belong in Nuis, but in Beesterzwaag. They actually belong to the Frisian grietman families Van Teyens and Fockens.