Liudgerkerk Niekerk
The Romanesque Church of Niekerk is built from brick and tuff and is one of the oldest in the Westerkwartier. The oldest part dates from the 12th or first half of the 13th century.
Take a closer look
The nave is still built entirely of tuff stone. The tower was constructed in the 13th century using brick and sections of tuff stone that were recovered during the demolition of that part of the church. The church’s roof was originally thatched and was later covered with roof tiles. Among other things, the church houses a richly carved pulpit from 1705, crafted by Allert Meijer and Jan de Rijk. The old church bell, dating from 1620 and cast by the Lorraine bell-founders François Simon and André Obertin (Aubertin), was melted down during the Second World War and replaced by a new one after the war. The Van Oeckelen organ dates from 1895. Excavations have revealed that the churchyard of this church already existed before the stone church was built.