Het Rechthuis Bellingwolde
According to the wall anchors in the façade, the Rechthuis was built in 1643, but the core of the building is in all likelihood much older: it is quite possible that a courthouse stood here as early as 1456.
Take a closer look
Until 1811, the Rechthuis was used here by the ‘richter’ of Bellingwolde-Blijham. He administered justice in civil cases. The richter, who was appointed by the City, lived at the Rigtersborg on the Hoofdweg. In 1811, the court was abolished and the local population had to seek justice in Winschoten. The building passed into private hands but was purchased by the local council in 1937. It was not until years later (from 1955) that the house, which had by then fallen into a state of serious disrepair, was restored. The Rechthuis was rebuilt in a variety of styles. For example, the front façade was constructed in the 18th-century style and the rear façade in the 17th-century style. Today, the Rechthuis is used as a private residence and is not open to the public.