Academy building sculptures
On 27 June 1909 the Academy Building was newly inaugurated after the building was entirely destroyed by fire in 1906. It was built according to the early seventeenth century North Netherlands Renaissance style the patrons used to refer to the period in which the university was established. Sculptor Petrus Ackermans designed five allegorical sculptures. Minerva is standing in full suit of armour on top of the Academy Building with a helmet on and carrying a spear and coat of arms. Scientia and Historia represent science and history respectively. Prudentia stands for wise policy and Mathematica for mathematics.